Monday, September 18, 2017

Meredith's Monday Musings: Grammar





Hi Guys and Gals!

Happy Monday! We’re in the middle of September already. Can anyone else believe this? I seriously can’t! I feel like it was yesterday that I was saying I couldn’t believe that we were in the middle of July. Seriously, time has got to start to slow down just a little bit. 

Today’s Meredith’s Monday Musing post is all about: Grammar!

I’m not sure if any of you have noticed this or not, but I suck at grammar. If I were to be tested on my grammar knowledge, I think I’d have about a third grade level on my knowledge about it. It’s really sad. You’d think being an author that I would be good at grammar, but no. I like to think my lack of knowledge on where to put commas, what a preposition is, etc is job security for my editor and copy editor. ;-) So, at least two people are benefiting from my stupidity. 

The reason why I struggle with this subject is because of how many rules there is and the rules constantly change! For instance, one situation that effects my books: whether or not to capitalize the “d” in Daddy. I believe it should always be capitalized because when a heroine is in her little space, the hero’s name becomes Daddy. Therefore, it’s a pronoun and pronouns are supposed to be capitalized. However, I’ve been told that the “d” only gets capitalized when the little is speaking to her Daddy, not when she just refers to him in her thoughts. (I just made a grammar mistake in this sentence. ;-) Can you find it?) This rule doesn’t make sense to me. If someone thought about me in their thoughts, my name would still be capitalized. So, I don’t get why the “d” in Daddy wouldn’t stay capitalized either. 


The above is just one example of a grammar concept that I don’t understand. There are many more!! For instance, modifying words. I’ve had that explained to me a couple times now and I still don’t get it. Or why is Kitty spelled with a “k” but then cat is spelled with a “c”? Or what’s the deal with the words “a lot/alot and a part/apart? I never know which one to use when I write! Lets not forget about my least two favorite words: lay and lie. Don't even get me started on how confusing those two words are.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the people who make up grammar rules are cruel! I feel like once I have a grammar rule down, it changes. I just wish that the rules could be the same in each situation. Then maybe I’d be smarter at this subject. 



Oh well. At least I have an awesome editor and copy editor to fix my grammar mistakes in my books. As for my blog posts, well, y’all will just have to ignore my mistakes. Sorry! 

That’s all I have for now. 

Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment