Monday, September 4, 2017

Meredith's Monday Musings: Labor Day





Hi Folks!

Happy Monday and Happy Labor Day! What are y’all doing on this beautiful Monday off? I’m sure that some of you are preparing your kiddos to go back to school, while others are just basking in their vacation time. I will be spending the day writing. :-) 

Today’s Meredith’s Monday Musing is all about: Labor Day!

As I was writing up this post, inspiration struck me as to what it should be about. When I think of Labor Day, I always think “I get that Monday off. Yay!” I never think about why I receive this Monday off and I think it’s important to know. 


After doing a bit of history online, I’ve discovered that Labor Day was created by the labor parties back in the 18th century. The workers felt that they deserved a day once a year to be celebrated for all the hard work that they do. Oregon was the first state to honor this holiday and give everyone the day off. It wasn’t until 1894 that it become a federal holiday and all states had to give people the day off. 

I love the concept of this holiday. I think that so many people take the labor employees for granted, when really we shouldn’t. To me, I consider anyone who does hard, physical work to be a laborer. So, people who work in construction or are farmers, or gardeners, etc I consider to be laborers. Those folks do so much hard physical work and yet, I don’t think they get thanked enough for it. 



Our country wouldn’t survive without these people. So, I really like the fact that they get a holiday off. They absolutely deserve it. 

I’m hoping this post has been an educational one for all. Now when we celebrate having Labor Day off in the future, we’ll all know why!

Happy Monday and Happy Labor Day again, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment